Friday 24 February 2012

Once upon a time

Our new brief for uni is to produce an illustrated book based on an existing news story. (180mmx180mm) We then take the news story and turn it into more of a story book, including choosing the protagonist and fabricating their feelings and emotions etc. The facts of the story still need to be the original ones, but we are allowed to 'embellish' them. This is an independent project, followed by making a collaborative film in a group also based on a developed news story. We are still on the book part and the deadline for the digital work is in 3 days, well it's less than 3 days now and as it stands I'm not quite there yet. I do know what I'm doing, I've just still got some drawings and work on InDesign to do, which is my task for the remainder of today and tomorrow. It's taken me a long time to even get into this brief and my heart's still not completely in it, but I think a lot of that is down to me doubting my work, especially my ability to draw, which is necessary for this brief as photography is not an option because of my chosen story. The story I chose to use could have been recreated in either a very morbid and grotesque horror style, or alternatively a much softer, more subtle approach where the reader has more to think about. I chose the latter.

My chosen news story is the story of Amy Francis, a 77 year old woman who died from a fatal heart attack from blood loss after an experienced surgeon unintentionally removed the wrong organ during a theatre complication. Mrs Francis was having routine keyhole surgery to remove her cancerous right kidney when her liver was unintentionally removed, causing her blood loss, resulting in death. It is a tragic story and not one to be taken lightly at all which ledme to really think about how I wanted to tell this story. I didn't wanted a grim blood covered horror story told from the doctor's or Mrs Francis' point of view, I wanted to take the audience by surprise. That's when I decided to write the story from the kidney's point if view, Kidney as the protagonist (I did also toy with the liver as the protagonist, or alternatively both the liver and the kidney both as protagonists). Visually I want the book to be in a way like a grown ups Mr Men, in the way it is very simple in both story length, typeface and imagery. Like the Mr Men books I am having text on the left hand pages with all images (fingers crossed) on the right hand ones. The concept of my story is that the body of Mrs Francis is the organs' house and that they are all brothers and sisters within that house, Kidney and Liver are closest (both relationship and anatomically). The book follows Kidney as she becomes more and more ill with what Brain tells her is called 'Cancer', her decision to let herself be taken away and the awful realisation on the day she is to leave that Liver is gone and the house has been turned upside down, Heart has been attacked and all the lights in the house are slowly shutting off to represent the death of Mrs Francis. Each page only has about 3 lines of text. I am using Arial as Mr Men books use Sans Serif fonts.


I chose to create very simple images to go with the simple story. Using fineliners and copic markers I have been working on the 'characters' of Kidney, Liver, Brain, Stomach and Heart. The photo quality isn't great as they are from my phone but I will scan my drawings in at some point and post screen shots of the finished pages when I'm done. The idea is the Kidney gets paler and paler as the story goes on, which isn't as easy as it looks with these markers, it's endless swatches and tests but it's worth it for the end results, the colours are really rich and solid. They also look a hell of a lot better in real life as opposed to these photos.

The 2 images of the heart are not the line image I will be using for the final book, they were purely practice. The fineliner elements of the image needs to be much simpler to keep with the continuity of the other organs. I will also be using different colours; I have a bright red and quite a darker one which I have also been using for the kidney. So next tasks are: create a more simple heart and work on the colourings, repeat but with stomach and also with liver. Hopefully the InDseign side won't take me too long, I wish I wasn't such a bloody perfectionist or so doubtful of my work all the time, I might get more done and quicker that way.

Enough rambling about poorly organs now, I'll keep this updated (fingers crossed) as the project progresses over the next couple of days. Also need to think of a name and cover idea.

1 comment:

  1. Dezbean, this is absolutely AWESOME and if you tell me ONE MORE TIME that you can't art, I am going to get the train to Leeds and smack you. After extensive cuddles and tuna pasta, obviously.
    <3

    ReplyDelete